Monday, July 13, 2009

The Wild World of Religion

Disclaimer: It is not my intention to show disrespect by not capitalizing certain nouns at all times. I will be showing plenty of disrespect in other ways.

Eddie Izzard said it best in the DVD of his show "Circle":
"Dad, the Mormons are from Mars, we've had that checked."

This, of course, was Jesus talking to God, and wondering why everyone had split up into different groups.

Now, keep in mind that I was born and raised in the LDS (Mormon) religion, so I do have some experience with the subject. And about thirteen years ago, I left it all behind for good.

The first inkling I got that the LDS church was not for me was right around the age of eight. I was not the most - ahem - attractive child, and I endured teasing from many kids at school. What I hadn't expected was that the teasing would also happen within the very walls of "God's house". Even as a child, I wondered how that could be. I grew up with some of the most self-serving, stuck-up, holier-than-thou people that I've ever encountered, all of whom were considered to be righteous and holy. Whatever. People who were actually righteous and holy wouldn't turn a blind eye to the teasing a child received in Sunday School.

I am a live-and-let-live kind of person. I wish organized religion would adapt that way of thinking. Here's my biggest problem with religion, and with Christianity specifically: it is one of the most nefarious tools that has ever existed, created to keep people in line, and to keep their controllers in power. To quote Eddie again,"Blasphemy, blaspheyou, blasphe-everybody-in-the-room..." Let fly the nasty comments!

In the most recent U.S. presidential election, a rumor began that Barack Obama was a secret Muslim. Now, if there really was a separation of church and state, as the Constitution provides, no one would have given a flying fuck. But oh my gods, what a controversy that became! Every news network talked about it ad infinitum, and Obama's opponents even began using the rumor. A completely unsubstantiated rumor, I might add. But these hateful people felt they had to protect the office of the presidency from what they deemed an immoral person. (None of these people obviously had any idea what Islam is really about.)

Every president of this country has been a Christian. Every. One. And up until now, they'd also all been white males. Yeah, a bunch of freedom and equality we have here, don't we?

So let's consider for a moment that Obama actually had been a Muslim. How would this have affected how he managed the Presidency? Well, if he was truly upholding the Constitution, it wouldn't have affected anything. Then why is religion such a big deal with politicians? Beats the hell out of me. My only guess is that it has to do with feeling superior over other people who "don't have the truth". Pfft.

Here is the truth: religion has no place in government or in schools. It is separation of church and state, plain and simple. So get the fuck over it already and quit trying to force your god into my life.

And then there's the Bible.

Think for a moment about the Greek Myths. Today we regard them as fictional stories, but many moons ago they were regarded as truth by the people of the times. It would be ridiculous to think that Zeus is still sitting on Mount Olympus, right? Yet the Bible, a work of fanciful tales that sound every bit as unlikely as the Greek Myths, is taken seriously. Why?

The Bible is widely regarded as the literal Word of God. If that were so, then it wouldn't have been written, compiled, and edited by men. Men in power. Men who got together in a huge tribunal and decided what was going in the Book and what wasn't. And the Word of God wouldn't contradict itself so often, either. (Surely God would have known about the existence of dinosaurs??) And yet this book, and religion in general, controls so much in so many lives.

Do I believe in an all-powerful god who designed us all and has a master plan? Nope, I sure don't. I like Eddie Izzard's theory of the god Chaos, who was just trying to make a flan and the pilot light ignited the Big Bang. If a person believes that their god is doing everything according to a plan, then that god is not only responsible for the good things, but the bad things as well. The faithful never think of that, do they? (In fact, I think one of the best arguments against "intelligent design" is the earwig. *shudder* No decent being in his or her right mind would create that.)

I understand the desire of human beings to want to explain everything, to think they have some sort of control over their universe. Hence, religion. But it seems rather conceited to me to think that a human can know God's mind. People all the time are telling me what God wants of us. Oh, really? And he told you this face to face, did he? Uh-huh. That's what I thought. The god that most people rely on, if those people really thought about it, would scoff at anyone thinking they knew his thoughts. Anyone claiming he or she is doing "God's will" is misguided at best, psychotically delusional at worst. Especially if "God's will" involves hurting other people. (See The Crusades, the Holocaust, the Mormon Massacre, the ongoing Israel/Palestine conflict, 9/11, etc.)

I could probably stomach organized religion better if it also wasn't so heavy-handed about sin. Apparently anything fun or that feels good is a sin. In the Mormon religion, the most sin-free people get married in an LDS temple, a place that only "worthy" people can go. So no having sex before marriage! I can't begin to imagine how many LDS women have unsatisfactory sex lives because they didn't test drive the car before buying. Sexual compatibility is of major importance in a marriage! I feel rather sorry for those women, because we know the men certainly aren't suffering. (You men have it so easy when it comes to orgasms.)

Personally, I don't see the big deal about sex before marriage. Nor do I see the big deal with living together before getting married, or not getting married at all. The LDS religion is very stringent about these things. Needless to say, I'll never be going to any of their temples. Why would I want to, though? Why would I have married in a place where not all those I love are welcome?

Sometimes faith can be utterly disastrous. When my father was diagnosed with cancer in October of 2004, he had many "priesthood blessings" given to him by members of their bishopric. Their bishop said in these blessings that my father would recover and have many more years upon this earth. He passed away in April of 2005. My mother was completely unprepared and utterly devastated. I, however, knew he wasn't going to survive much longer, and was not surprised at his passing. So many people came up to us at the funeral and said how shocking it was that he'd gone so quickly. Not really. Anyone with half a brain and eyes unclouded by false statements by religious leaders would have seen my father was dying, and quickly. Shit happens, and the explanation is that there is no explanation. Shit happens.

I feel I've only barely scratched the surface of this subject, because my problems with religion are so vast. I only touched on its role in U.S. politics, and said role is so much more vast than the attention I gave it. I probably have enough material that I could write a short book on the subject of religion in politics alone. But, seeing as how I don't have the patience to be angry for the amount of time it would take to write that book, I will simply leave it here in my rambles. Religion should be about peace, love, and working together. Instead it's a contest of "My god is better than your god".

I want no part of it, thank you very much.


10 comments:

  1. Several points on religion.

    First, I find it convenient that someone's god believes the very thing they do. If they hate gays, so do their god. Personally I feel the list of things God likes or dislikes is more in line with one's parents or community than with the perspectives of some all powerful deity. If God created gays, would he hate them? Or is it that gay men have strayed from the righteous path and therefore are regarded as wayward or abominations.

    This brings us to Leviticus. Everyone brings up Leviticus when it comes to homosexuality. What they fail to mention are the other rules laid out by this pedant's pedant. For instance, we don't go around stoning women wearing clothing made of two different fabrics. The bible, if anything, is inconsistent. Anyone can defend or attack a point of view with a keenly selected psalm. Compounding this is the fact that there are the new and Old Testaments. In one, God is to be feared. In the other God is love. Which is the true God? I find it amusing that so-called christians, particularly of a fundamentalist or conservative nature, lean towards the Old Testament God when it is the New Testament that has Jesus in it. Funny how those that claim to be Christian stray so far from the actual teachings. If one were Christian, one would have compassion for the poor and the sick. One would love one's enemy, embrace those that are different, and abhor violence, ambition, and greed.

    Finally a note on the infinite power of God. If God is infinite then he must be both infinitely good and infinitely evil. If God is not infinitely evil, then he is finite and therefor limited in power. Most religious people cannot understand this syllogism, regarding their God as all powerful and completely good, failing to realize no being can be both as one excludes the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept reading that as LSD ;o)

    I was brought up a Catholic and due to one major event in my family's life (er, my mother bearing the son of our local priest and later marrying him), I have seen the major hypocrisies within the church and am now what I would call semi-atheist. And by that I mean I know there probably isn't a God, but I can't quite shake off my upbringing enough to be a proper signed up atheist.

    What really gets my goat is that with my understanding of why America was founded in the first place is that they wanted to be free of the monarchy and the powers they had over religion at the time to become free to worship who they chose, or who not as the case may be. America prides itself on having a state able to make decisions free from the church - apparently. This is clearly not the case as you have rightly pointed out, yet here in the UK we are still officially a country represented by the Church of England through the monarch yet we seem to be able to manage our government without the interference of religion. In fact, there was a bit of hoo-ha over Tony Blair converting to Catholicism just before he resigned as PM which shows you just how unusual a story mixing religion with politics is over here. If he had said we went to war because God had told him to, he would have been laughed out of the House of Commons, yet when Dubya pronounced this to the world it was seen as justification. Which surprises me, since didn't we go to war with people who had said the same about their God? And wasn't what they did evil? Mmmm, I'll have to think harder on that one, it doesn't seem to make sense...

    You're right in that once you talk about one thing, it leads to another and another and there just isn't enough time to discuss the whole issue without getting angry. :o)

    I must say though, that I do believe there was one US president who was an atheist, but he didn't admit it because it would have got him into trouble - which also proves your point. I think he was quoted quite a bit in The God Delusion - I'll have to check who it was when I get home.

    Great choice of blog material - bound to get people talking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Anonymous, you bring up some very good points that I wanted to mention, but went off on different tangents. Thank you for posting.

    Laura - you're absolutely right about why America was founded in the first place. It's amazing how hypocritical this country is, and it's even more surreal when one actually lives here. I forgot to mention that there were religious people who were also calling Obama the Anti-Christ, and there are millions of people in Utah alone who ardently believe that shit.

    Oh, and I'm not a proper atheist per se, more like an agnostic, really. I'm open to the idea that the soul transcends our mortal bodies, but still can't swallow that there's some all-powerful being up there watching our every move. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts!

    PS Anonymous is actually my husband Dave. Why he posted as Anonymous, I don't know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Brandi! Very interesting to see different examples of how organised religion has treated people like shit..

    I am an atheist (after a good few years thinking about it) and I obviously have a good many big problems with religion which I won't go into here, as I will be here all bloody day. ;) However, I would mention the thing about it all that possibly worries me the most; religion actively encourages people to believe without questioning. This is that tricky "faith" doodad, which I happen to think is incredibly dangerous.

    The arguement goes "I do not need proof to know that god exists, because I have faith." God and being a good god worshipper is all about believing in what other people tell you without asking if it's right, if it's good, or even if it makes any bloody sense.

    You wouldn't put up with this in any other part of your life, and it is responsible for many of the terrible things that are done in the name of religion; if you are brought up from a very small kiddie to believe everything you are told from a book is morally correct (without questioning it!) then perhaps you will be open to doing other things without questioning if they are right or wrong. This, sadly, leads to good people doing evil things.

    Sorry, I have waffled on forever and I'm not even sure it makes sense. Typical. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, thank you for bringing up another point that I just touched on a tiny bit (in regards to my father's death). And yes, so many horrible things have happened in the name of God and religion, but no one wants to talk about that part.

    In the beginning days of the LDS religion, members of the church were told that God had instructed them to become polygamists, because the church was small and they needed to bring more children into the world (in other words, create members rather than convert them). Polygamy didn't last very long in the church, but that's the thing outsiders always remember about Mormons to this day.

    Seems to me that God wouldn't ask you to do something one day, then tell you to stop doing it the next because it's suddenly bad. People always use god to serve their own purposes.

    No, you didn't waffle on forever. Did you notice the length of this blog? Now THAT'S waffling. :) Thank you for your insights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You said something that reminded me of something else:

    'Seems to me that God wouldn't ask you to do something one day, then tell you to stop doing it the next because it's suddenly bad. People always use god to serve their own purposes.'

    This is exactly what happened a couple of years ago with the sticky issue of unborn babies and limbo. According to the Catholic faith, we are all born sinners (charming) and throughout life we have to attone for these so-called sins (what exactly can a foetus do that's so bad) before we can get into heaven. This didn't go down too well with otherwise faithful Catholics who had stillborn babies when it came to where they ended up in the afterlife. As they technically hadn't done anything wrong but they were still 'sinners,' they were banished to limbo forever - until the pope changed his mind. That's right - something that was supposedly written in Catholic doctrine for 2000 years was 'taken back' by the current pope after years of debate. Yet another example of how religious people pick and choose elements of their religion to back whatever popular issue is going on at the moment. Bah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew that the Catholic faith (I first typed fate there, hmm) had the whole born as sinners thing, but it had never occurred to me to wonder about stillborns and even miscarriages. Thank you for bringing up the point! And supposedly the Pope is infallible. I thought we were all born sinners, so the Pope being infallible must be an affront to God, right? Ah, the contradictions astound the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There has been some discussion regarding the topic of faith. Faith is part and parcel with religion. Indeed, they are inseparable.

    What is the difference between faith and belief. Well, belief is based on factual evidence. It is empirical. Faith is based on assumption, or worse, enthusiasm. It has no basis in fact. Beliefs can be proven disproved. Simply confirm or deny the facts. Faith can neither be proved or disproved. Do aliens exist? Well, to think we are alone in the universe is absurdly egotistical. However, to say without a doubt that they do exist is just as absurd because what little evidence there is does not support a firm claim. The same with God. To say God must exist because we do is jumping to a conclusion. By that same logic, a god must exist for every species of flower, insect, bird, rock, etc. So, when people ask if you believe in God, what they are really saying is if you have faith in God.

    A Scottish philosopher described it thusly, there is that which is true by definition and there is that which is true by experience. Hume's Fork claims that a ting can be true by either means, but not both. Meanwhile, that which is true by experience can be shown as false if that experience is proven false. That I am from Utah is true only in so far as my experience in the state supports that claim. Things true by experience affect our lives in a very meaningful way, as they define who we are, where we are, and what we have done.

    That which is true by definition cannot be disproved. That red is a color cannot be shown as false. Even to the blind red is a color even though they cannot experience it. In other words, red is a color that blind people cannot see. However, in terms of our livelihood, what is true by definition has little to know meaning. That red is a color does not greatly affect where I live, what I do, or who I am.

    Now, the Christians claim that God is very real and has impact in our lives (true by experience), while also being irrefutable (true by definition). However, David Hume said refuted this claim by saying that, yes, God could be true if he can be proved or disproved. Christian's do not accept that. On the other hand, God could be true definitively, but then would have no more meaning in our lives than that red is a color.

    So, true by definition but ultimately meaningless, or true by experience, but ultimately refutable?

    ReplyDelete
  9. And that was my darling Dave, putting that minor degree in philosophy to excellent use. Thank you for bringing up another great point! (Even if it did make my brain hurt for a bit.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Brandi.

    I've struggled a lot with religion all through my life and I know it's down to the fact that my family were Mormons when I was small.

    I was brought up in the faith from birth until I was five and I can remember being quite the little zealot - telling non-LDS rellies off for drinking tea and coffee, for smoking, saying prayers before I ate ANYTHING and trying to be the little sunbeam that Jesus apprently wanted me for - and my Nan told my mother on a number of occasions that it was screwing me up. Not that Mum listened until we left, of course.

    We ended up leaving in part because my Dad had been given the "calling" of organising work parties to help elderly church members with their garden work and none of the preisthood would do it and my mother grew disillusioned with the Relief Society when some of the classes she wanted to teach - less home making and more arts and crafts - were banned outright. It lead to her openning the Bible and seeing "let no man tell thee what thou should eat or drink", somewhere in Corinthians, and that finally set a lightbulb off and that was us done in the church. My folks books and papers were packed up and handed the the branch president and that was that.

    Except for the fact that five year old, takes-everything-literally Matt got hella confused and thought that meant my whole family was destined to go to Hell because we weren't going to church anymore. I kept that to myself until I was 14 or 15 as I just assumed that my parents knew that was what would happen and chose it for us anyway. Fucked me up a bit that did.

    I went through a long athiest phase once I hit 16 and even decided I was pagan for a while, but these days I'm not sure what I am.
    I don't know what is out there or if we do carry on in some form after death and I feel torn between the logic of there being nothing - no sentient creatrix or creator and no continuation - to the fear-born "there must be something, else what's the point of it all?".
    It's difficult, especially with my mental health issues as well.

    I've waffled on more than I intended and have likely over-shared, but hey ho. I shall leave with the words of m'lord Stephen Fry - "Religion - I shit it."

    ReplyDelete